Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging Sound Recordings

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

some of my best finds of relevant literature (and something no-one else has
found, which is a useful attribute in some situations) have appeared after
searching for deliberate misspellings. So bibliographic control would be
quite necessary to serve the commonweal (new term I have just added to my
vocabulary. I am not going to use it much).

The whole history of Information Science is extremely interesting, because it
gets down to the roots of how we organize information so that it is
retrievable. The hierarchical decimal classification systems (Dewey, and I
suspect LC - Denmark uses UDC for scientific libaries and a simplified
version for public libraries) were basically pigeon-hole systems that
permitted you to put things somewhere with others that you considered
similar. However, queries that went across the hierarchies, that looked for
similarities other than those appreciated at the time of filing, were system-
hostile. Knowing that new developments frequently occur at the interface
between subject areas (cross-fertilization), would indicate that it would be
very difficult to find material in cross-overs that were not realized at the
time. Coordinative indexing was very promising, because using a controlled
vocabulary (a Thesaurus) permitted the creation of lists of numbered
documents (access numbers) belonging to the terms used, as many terms as
needed being used to index an entry, and the answers to searches being
obtained by comparing lists of those permitted terms that you combined (by
means of logical operators) during your search. This meant that for logical
AND a search would never take longer than comparing to the shortest list.

Some present systems are based on coordinative indexing, but sequential
reading (string-search or "free text") has become so fast that some of the
cheap database systems are not at all well organized. Instead we are given
"search aids", such as wildcards. In other words, we are in many instances
forced to use quite unintelligent tools. From personal experience I know that
a good Thesaurus (with suitable broader terms BT and narrower terms NT, as
well as preferred terms PT) works well and reliably. A Thesaurus must be
revised from time to time, but it can be made backwards compatible. And using
indexing terms interactively from a Thesaurus will ensure correct spelling -
it is easier to click on a term than to type it all over again.

Based on a simple DOS programme from the early 1980s called MicroFind I had a
license to create databases, and it was very simple. Some would probably
consider it a disadvantage that the search tables needed to be updated with
new entries (say, daily), before efficient searching could be performed, but
I imagine that possible updated versions would do this in the background and
take a short time only.

This looks like one of those entries where you can read the whole thread -
another way of making information easily retrievable.

Kind regards,

George