Re: [ARSCLIST] Rezerex presentation AES NYC 4/12(was Re: Baking tapes and high frequencies)

Hello, Dave,

I heard Richardson present in Austin at ARSC. I heard lots of generalities.
I think he may be on to something, and I'm trying to maintain an open mind.
Thank you for your thoughtful analysis of his presentation.

According to him, the "oxide hydrolysis" theory is a case of "common
knowledge" that we
have all accepted as fact without investigating further or re-checking the
basic scientific work that originally came up with the thesis.

It's interesting that he makes the claim, as there are several writings on the subject that appear to be independent. The first is the Bertram paper which Jay McKnight has kindly posted on his Web site: http://home.flash.net/~mrltapes/bertram_humid-aging.pdf In the ARSC presentation, Richardson dismissed the Bertram paper of becoming too carried-away with the technical measurements.

Ampex also has a paper that I don't think was ever published: "Audio
Mastering Archive Stability" by David Anglin, Ampex Recording Media Corp.,
circa 1993. In this, he discusses an "equilibrium equation" of
                          [ester][water]
    k(sub eq) =_______________
                          [acid][alcohol]

I don't know the availability of this paper.

Two of the tables from this paper appear in US Patent 5,236,790 issued Aug
17, 1993 to Medeiros et al, and assigned to Ampex Systems Corporation.

Some additional information about 3M tapes can be found
http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/3mtape/aorprod2.html
http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/3mtape/aorintr1.html
but these pages don't discuss hydrolysis, although I thought Del Eilers had
discussed it someplace.

Here are reports of Sticky Shed syndrome from the Ampex Mailing list site
http://recordist.com/ampex/docs/misc/sticky-shed.html

He claims to
have had numerous laboratory tests conducted that completely contradict the
theory of oxide binder hydrolysis and instead point to breakdown of the
backcoating as the cause of "sticky-shed" syndrome.

I would like to see these published.

claiming that baking was a
"nail in the coffin" of chemically degraded tapes.

This may be what got some people on the defensive. He is not saying, "look, I have another (and perhaps better) way of solving this problem," but, rather, he is telling us all we're destroying tapes by baking them.

I'm sure you saw my repost yesterday concerning the one MRL test tape that
MRL retested after baking.

The sales pitch aside
(and to be sure, I am not a chemist), I think he made a fairly good case for
his thesis.

Richardson is very caught up in his process and believes in it. This is good. But he needs to publish at least something technical to back up his claims. In Austin he told us "we all know heat is bad for things and increases reaction rates, so therefore it is bad for the tapes."

My serious reservations about the Rezerex process are:
(1)  It's not available
(2)  It appears to be expensive
(3)  It certainly is invasive, albeit in a different sense from baking
(4)  It is not reversible as good conservation techniques usually are

My concern (1) is part of a general trait that we all manifest in this
business. That is that we hope and wait for something better to come along
and the promise of that sometimes causes inaction. While in some instances,
inaction is the best choice, in others, perhaps we should just get on with
it and do it.

One attendee of the
meeting even seemed to intimate that the original masters were more or less
expendable once the audio had been digitized, and that a process to preserve
reel-to-reel masters long-term was a bit of a waste of time.

While most people I know suggest that keeping the original masters is preferred, the costs to do this are high and the benefit in some instances may not outweigh the costs.

After all, we are on an interesting point in the curve when it comes to
reels and cassettes:

We have a downward-trending machine-quality curve. No superior playback
machines are being manufactured today for either reels or cassettes.

We have a downward-trending recording-quality curve as older recordings are
aging and suffering some degradation (minor as compared to the machines to
play them).

We have an upward-trending recording-quality curve with analog-to-digital
converters. 24/96 is commonplace.

We have a downward-trending pool of knowledge about the art and craft of
playing analog magnetic recordings.

The only glitch in these curves at the moment is Jamie Haworth's
flutter-removal system that uses bias or other constant signals present in
the recording to do audio time-base correction.

These trends suggest to me that now is as good a time as we'll ever have to
digitize these precious recordings. Ten years from now, fewer machines will
be available.

It's a complex challenge, and I appreciated Richardson's work. I just wish
it was presented in a more useable fashion so we could better evaluate it.

Cheers,

Richard