Re: [ARSCLIST] Baking tapes and high frequencies

Jim:

Thanks, this is the best explanation I've heard so far.  Testing has shown
that the  "dimensional 'memory'" can sometimes be activated by the
application of heat.  A controlled heat-application process is often
effective in using this "memory" to resize tapes that have been slightly
stretched or deformed.

An interesting consideration is that the coefficient of
expansion/contraction in magnetic tape (per the National Media lab testing)
is greater for moisture than for heat (at lower levels).  In addition, the
low-molecular-weight oligomers have greater volume than the corresponding
polymers from which they were created by hydrolysis.

This brings up the question of whether the tape being measured for
dimensional change was hydrolyzed and/or stretched before or after the
recording was made.  If the damage/decay occurred after the recording,
"baking" should return the tracks to a closer approximation of what they
were originally.  If the tape was hydrolyzed or deformed before the
recording was made, "baking" could alter the dimensions of the tape to a
closer approximation of an undamaged/un-hydrolyzed state and alter tracking
that was recorded on a deformed tape.  Makes it kind of tricky.  How do you
accurately restore a tape to a warped or deformed set of dimensions?

Lance:

As to "re-baking" a tape, the only report I've seen that stated baking has
limited applications was retracted by the person who made it when they
discovered that their oven wasn't turned on when they re-baked.  As to why
someone would want to re-bake a tape, well, much as we all try- we can't
always control what our clients do.  We have often seen commercial firms
pull a spot off of a restored tape without making a transfer of the entire
recording.  When they want a different part of the recording two years
later, they need to have the tape re-baked.

Peter Brothers