Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: How Long Do You Want Digital Storage Media to Last?

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 9:46 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: How Long Do You Want Digital Storage Media to
Last?

In a message dated 4/1/2005 7:59:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, joba@xxxxxxx
writes:
Should optical discs last forever?
Would you like your digital-storage media to last 20 years, 25 years, 30
years, 35 years or 40 years?

************

I don't see the point of establishing a "self destruct" time for storage
media.  Personally, I'd like everything to last forever.

Of course we get buried in our own debris of everything is saved forever.
There is nothing wrong with making temporary records. One could have a lot
of fun
using ten cent acetate coated pieces of cardboard or rust coated acetate
strips to record choice comments at a bachelor party or wedding reception
with the
intent to throw them away right afterward. However the possibility that
these
could survive long term storage means that fifty years later they may become
some of one's most precious possessions. If it is decided to accept media
with
built in degradation mechanisms, such things can never happen again.

The goal should be to identify the processes that cause the deterioration of
media and reduce them as much as possible, even where economics is a factor.
The roll of standards organizations and institutions should be to establish
testing and labeling requirements to encourage the production of the best
quality
materials possible.

Mike Csontos

Mike Csontos

Longevity limitations are well understood. Current problems are consumer
demand for low cost, high speed writers and media that are in conflict with
longevity.

Should the government control this? Not really, because they cannot even
properly control medications using an immense bureaucracy. I have proposed
solutions many times to archival groups, yet they only want a "magic bullet"
as to what brand to buy and thus live happily everafter.

This issue is lacking realism.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.