From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Spencer
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 12:59 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] .wav file content information

A bit more...waiting to catch a plane!

Pro Tools, Nuendo, and Pyramix (off the top of my head) all support
saving as BWF.  If you look at the file you have created (as per the EBU
link), it will end with the suffix ".wav".  Don't worry about ".bwf", it
shouldn't be used, and programs that don't utilize the BWF "chunk" will
ignore the information.

You will note that all of these are "multitrack" DAW platforms.

Be careful about what you think you might want to put in there, however,
as we have seen cross-platform incompatibilities regarding the
availability of the header information.  There are BWF reader apps out
there (check
Sourceforge.net)

Most of the stereo editing programs (Sound Forge, Adobe Audition, etc.)
that we use DON'T save BWF information - I've always found that a bit
strange.

Regarding the usage of MYSQL or other database applications, remember
that the relative size of the metadata "stack" will be MUCH smaller than
the resultant audio files.  We prefer to link the metadata record with a
unique ID in the BWF header that we also record in the metadata
database.  By "loosely coupling" the two, you can add/ make changes to
the individual metadata record without having to load the audio file
itself.

I would be more concerned that the metadata that I was collecting was
structured in a manner that would allow for it to move into other
database environments without re-keying the information.

Hope this helps.

John
--
John Spencer