[ARSCLIST] Creating Archival Copies on Analog Reel

I am writing from Oral History American Music at Yale University.  We
are a project that conducts and collects recorded interviews with
American composers and musicians.  We recently received a grant to copy
our archive onto a more stable format.

I am relatively new to audio archiving, but after discussion with some
recording experts at Yale, we came up with a plan to copy each
interview onto 2 CD-Rs (one Reference Master, one user copy), and copy
interviews on an unstable format (e.g., cassette, DAT, 1/2 track reel)
onto analog reel.  We were advised that Quantegy 478 Low Print-through
is ideal for archiving a recorded voice.

With Quantegy out of business, it has become difficult to find blank
reels.  We found one supplier in Connecticut, but it is relatively
pricey.  I am wondering if others on this listserv uses analog reel for
archiving, and how they are dealing with the current shortage.  Do you
have several reels in stock, or do expect another manufacturer to buy
manufacturing rights to audio reels in the near future?  If shortage of
reels will be a long-term problem, would you suggest that we adjust our
plans.

Again, I am new to audio archiving, so please accept my apologies if
this has been discussed before.  Thank you for any information you may
have.

David Heetderks
david.heetderks@xxxxxxxx
www.yale.edu/oham