Re: [ARSCLIST] Metadata

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
> Metadata as related to recording is a buzzword.  In the audio context It
means, as I understand it, content information, engineering data for the
recording event, and/or the details of the source sound carrier and what has
been done to it in this stage of the preservation process.

> There are various projects underway to define what goes into this and
where.  There is an AES standard (I forget the number) for broadcast but not
for other purposes.  This standard is currently being adjusted for its own
needs by NPR.

> I assume AES is working on one for rerecording and something will emerge
in due course.

> The present question is how this information is to be added to what is
being recorded when the soundfile is being made into a CD or other
preservation medium.

> It's format has to be retrievable and visible on a screen and be able to
be printed when the preservation medium is played back.
> I'm assuming this has to be added to the data file through the digital
work station.

I've been suggesting for years that ARSC consider standardizing, at the very
least,
field names and sizes for catalguing databases. In fact, I've offered to do
or set
up a program on this subject. This could then could be used to create
metadata by
excerpting desired fields digitally...anything from a couple of fields to
entire
data records. When the data records were in a standard format, excerpted
data would
also be thus!