Re: [ARSCLIST] vinyl disc cleaners

Mark Downs <dylanger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anyone out there have any recommendations or alternatives to cleaning
> discs with a monk cleaner?  are there other machines that would be of a
> similar professional archival quality?

Your muscle power operating the Disc Doctor's brushes and chemistry will do
as well as a Keith Monks record cleaning machine (RCM).

The Keith Monks RCM semi-automates the process, eliminating the elbow grease,
where you have a large quantity of records to be cleaned.

Jeffrey Kane <jeffkane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said...
> Loricraft is certainly a viable option. I've not used a Monks machine so I
> can't speak to specific differences...

The Keith Monks machine is the "Cadillac" of cleaning machines... if you
can't afford a Keith Monks RCM, then buy what you can afford in this order...
they all work to a degree but each has increasing deficiencies that have been
engineered out of the Keith Monks machine:-

Lorricraft
VPI
Nitty-Gritty

If you have any questions about the differences, I'll be pleased to
answer them, otherwise see the Keith Monks "Archivist" machine on my
website at:-

http://audio-restoration.com/monks5.php

I will be pleased to provide a pdf file of the manual for the Keith Monks
Archivist machine for anyone who requests it (off list, please!)
It includes a few different cleaning chemistry suggestions that you can make
up yourself from readily available materials.

... Graham Newton, (North American agent for Keith Monks RCM's)

World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's new CAMBRIDGE processes.