Re: [ARSCLIST] A scenario for bequests

At 10:07 AM 2/25/2005 -0800, steven austin wrote:
Many here are administers of private archives, and these surely must be
accessible to scholars and enthusiasts after a bit of qualification.
Some collections have limited access simply because they are
stand-alones and private passions. Sad to say, there is no single source
or network for all recorded music. However...

On-line accessibility of collections is simply the best-ever innovation.
No more trudging across the country to some library to sit in a nasty
listening booth...only to find the material is not where it should be.
That quality of access is still available, but for most listeners, the
effort is forbidding.

Once again, I ask that if you insist on top-posting, you at least remove the debris below - the irrelevant prior posts. A bit of editing before sending saves a lot of bits. <G>

As you may be aware, my interest is more in providing access than in
obtaining the highest possible quality of capture. For many purposes,
modest quality is sufficient and the convenience and economy of compressed
audio is a great benefit. I have been producing CD-ROMs in what I call an
Audio Encyclopedia for about a decade now.

The University of Pittsburgh has committed server space, bandwidth and grad
student support to three of the discs I've produced on the subject of opera
from Bulgaria. You may find the material provocative:
   http://www.ucis.pitt.edu/opera/
(There is no intrusion on your system at the site - no ActiveX, Java, Java
script or cookies.)

The catalogue of the effort to date is at my WWW site under Audio Encyclopedia.

At times, my focus will generate a different perception of an issue from
that of true conservators and archivists. I'm glad that that has led to no
disputes and hope that my perspective will continue to be found worthwhile
here.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx