Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio storage on external hard drives

----- Original Message -----
From: "steven austin" <stevena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I think I see the discussion swinging back to shellac discs. And I still
> believe biological data storage devices (the minstrels and troubadours)
> deserve a reappraisal.
Well...shellac discs can survive nuclear attacks as long as they are about
5km from ground zero, and their containing buildings don't fall on them!

However, the "biological storage devices" are unlikely to survive on a
long-term basis (which raises the question of who is likely to use
this archive?...)

Besides, they can only preserve the basic framework of songs, not the
details od individual performances! We can't very well say, "I know
that Bix played cornet on Banner 12345, because I heard the recreation
done by Joe Gabroni's Jazz Troubadors, and..."

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/