Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation project

The Library of Congress, working with the assistance of the Council on
Library and Information Resources, is in the final stage of editing the
proceedings of the recording engineers roundtable that Graham mentioned.
The publication will appear shortly, and will be the first in a series
of publications related to the Library's mandate under the National
Recording Preservation Act to develop a national sound recording
preservation program in consultation with the National Recording
Preservation Board and key constituents in the field. Below is a draft
outline (still subject to revision) of the table of contents of the
engineers roundtable.

- Introduction
     The Preservation Challenge: Changing Technologies for Recorded
Sound
     Addressing the Challenge of Preserving our Audio Heritage
- Summary of Meeting Discussions
     Mitigating Deterioration of the Original Analog Carrier
     Obtaining an Accurate Transfer
     Best Practices for Digital Conversion/Considering a Sampling
Standard
     The Human Touch Versus Automated Transfer
     Creating Metadata
- Recommended Procedures for Transferring Analog Audio Tape and Analog
Audio Disc for Digital Output, with Participant Commentary
- Recommendations
- Conclusions

Gregory Lukow, Chief
Motion Picture, Broadcasting & Recorded Sound Division
The Library of Congress
Phone: 202-707-5840
Fax:  202-707-2371
Email:  gluk@xxxxxxx

>>> Eric Jacobs <ericj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 02/22/05 2:38:37 PM >>>
Have the results of the Washington meeting been published
or made available in any form to the general preservation
community?

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive