Re: [ARSCLIST] Gospel preservation

I think it was on WHUC, Howard University's TV outlet in DC.  I thought it
was really well done for the most part, integrating (if that's the right
word) the dvelopment of Gospel with the rise and fall of Jim Crow and the
emergence of the Civil Rights movement.  I missed about an hour of it but
enjoyed what I was able to catch.  For the most part, it was done with much
understanding, little of the "I'm the producer and have my own song to sing"
and even less of the "I'm black and this project belongs to us- not you,
whitey" approach of the following show, about a group going back to slave
sites in the US and eventually to Africa  to look for "the ancestors."

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Smith" <SDSmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:39 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Gospel preservation

Hi Steve,

Do you remember what outlet it aired on? I wasn't aware of too much
additional material on Dorsey.

--Scott D. Smith

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx> To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:11 AM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Gospel preservation

Saw a piece of a Dorsey interview this past weekend on TV, part of a
"Where
Gospel Came From" type series (6 episodes.)

Steve Smolian