Re: [ARSCLIST] Vertical Tracking Angle

Hi Doug,

Much thanks for updating my own references as I most often go back to volumes of "Benchmark Papers in Acoustics"

Regards,

Duane Goldman

At 04:04 PM 1/19/2005 +0000, you wrote:
REFERENCES:
1) "Disk Recording Volume 1: Groove Geometry and the Recording PRocess"  An
anthology of articles on disk recortding from the pages of the Journal of
the AES. Vol  1-Vol 28 (1953-1980).
2) "Tracking-Angle Error: A New Slant", by James V. White. High Fidelity,
June, 1979 issue ,p.62.
3) Audio Cyclopedia, by Howard Tremaine, Howard Sams & Co., Second Printing,
1973
4) Handbook for Sound Engineers/The New Audio Cyclopedia, Glen Ballou, Ed.,
Howard Sams & Co, 1987 Edition (a complete re-write of the 1973 version).

By 1963 the NAB and RIAA agreed to a standard VTA for stereo microgroove
recordings of 15 degrees.
This figure refers to playback, since the cutting angle differs due to
"lacquer spring-back".

The first reference, available from the AES, will give you reprints of
several seminal studies of the subject of VTA. One of these (by Teldec
engineers) describes the tracking angles for many pickups available in 1964:
the stock Shure M44, for instance, has a VTA of 16 degrees.
This suggests you need not worry about making adjustments when playing Lps.

None of the references above address the period before lacquer was used for
disk mastering, and I have no information on what cutter tilt, if any, was
typical of the early Western Electric cutters used for inscribing warm wax.
I have assumed best playback of shellac 78s with a perfectly vertical
stylus, but have found mono lacquers generally to sound best when played
with some negative tilt.

It never hurts to experiment.

Regards,

Doug Pomeroy
Pomeroy Audio
Audio Restoration & Remastering Services