Re: [ARSCLIST] Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy

Many club disc jockeys who use turntables appreciate differences that go
beyond simply being able to manipulate a vinyl record with their hands.
I do gigs spinning 78s in clubs and at parties, and I've had quite a few
good conversations with turntablists who really know their stuff when it
comes to gear. The best of them really know the difference between
digital and analog and what various kinds of turntables, cartridges,
styli, pre-amps, amps and speakers can do for them. Not what all of us
would call audiophiles, I suppose, but they've paid their dues.

On the other hand, I spun 78s at a club in New York last Friday for a
private birthday party. At 11:00 pm, the party ended and a club dj took
over. I offered to get my rather heavy gear out of the way, but she said
it could wait, and connected an Ipod to the PA system! I hung around for
a while and noticed that she was reading a book while her
selections--much longer than the average 78--played.

Matthew Barton
American Folklife Center
The Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20540-4610
phone: (202) 707-1733
fax: (202) 707-2076
email: mbarton@xxxxxxx

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Steven C. Barr wrote:

> One important point...today's musical artists don't use analog gear
> because of its sound quality! They use it because they can perform
certain
> tricks with it which turns the turntable into a musical instrument
(of
> sorts)...and even that function of an anolg turntable can be
duplicated
> by digital software, or so I have read!

I am not sure what you mean about artists not using analog gear. There
are
recording studios which maintain analog equipment for some of their
clients.

Karl