Re: [ARSCLIST] From ProTools to Vinyl? was [ARSCLIST] Fred Layn's post on the Studer

I don't think you're being oversensitive at all. As a case in point, I have
a six-eye pressing of Miles Davis' Porgy and Bess and a much later '
digitally remastered' pressing of the same. I realize that it's not exactly
an apples to apples comparison as many many other things happen in
remastering beyond an A/D/A conversion. Still, it's astonishing how lifeless
the remaster sounds compared to the original. It's neigh-on dead. There's a
complete loss of sense of space, the soundstage is collapsed and (not sure
if this is the correct terminology) the notes seem to be 'smeared'. There's
a loss in the sense of timing. The remaster is certainly pleasant to listen
to and it's still Miles, but it's not as engaging nor involving.

I witness the same effect with a performance of the Rachmaninoff Piano
Concert #2 by Vladimir Ashkenazy (w/Kondrashin conducting the MSO). The
original Decca pressing (and even later London pressings from the '70s) are
amazingly involving and convey the emotional fire that went into this
performance. The 'remastered' CD that I recently imported from the UK on
Decca just loses all involvement. Even through the same system, on a
top-flight CD transport, the message conveyed is different. I wish I could
quantify the difference or even describe it more accurately.