Re: [ARSCLIST] Format conundrum

This discussion reminded me of some math that I did back in 2002 to try and
explain the storage issues regarding born-digital material.

This refers ONLY to average numbers of multitrack audio files ("tracks")
based on RIAA US commercial release data.  Even though all of these releases
most certainly weren't digitally recorded, times have clearly changed now.

* Total Domestic (US) Releases 1992 ­ 1999 = 241,400
* 241,400 Masters x 600 files per release = 144,840,000 files
* 144,840,000 files x 15MB per file (conservative average) = 2,172,600,000MB
of storage (2.1 petabytes) of files in only 8 years!
* 2 Petabytes is the equivalent of 40 million 4-drawer file cabinets full of
text

That might get us in a little bind for paper and ink.

John
--
John Spencer
http://www.bridgemediasolutions.com/