From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 11:43 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Format conundrum

Hi, Kevin,

Cal State Fullerton did a similar sized collection to two CD-Rs. Sharon
Owen did a fantastic job with a little coaching and a lot of wonderful
volunteers.

I have been saying for the last four or five years that archiving to
1/4-inch is a waste of money as it won't be playable by the time the CDs
won't be playable. Not from wearing out but from no machines being
available.

Now with tape essentially unavailable (unless Quantegy gets its act
together), that is just one more good reason. I guess you could get some
of
the JAI red-oxide tape from India <sigh>.

All the best,

Richard
http://www.richardhess.com/tape/