From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Kane
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 4:41 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] ELP Turntable (was historical stylus rake angles)

My apologies, I should know to be more specific, especially with you
lot. :)
By noise, I'm referring to pops and clicks seemingly caused by dust,
sediment and other contaminants. The player seems to be extremely
sensitive.
Despite the noise blanking feature pops and clicks still seem amplified
far
more than a conventional player, to the point of being intrusive. I
don't
find this to be as much of an issue with 78s (perhaps due to the larger
groove dimensions?), it's primarily an issue with "micro-grooved"
material.

As for surface noise, I originally thought it wouldn't be an issue as
there's no stylus tracing the surface and no contact, thus, no noise. My
understanding was faulty in the extreme, surface noise is as evident as
it
is on conventional playback equipment. It does deal with some surface
defects much better than a conventional player and will play right
through
gouges in the vinyl that would likely tear a stylus from a conventional
cartridge.

The pop/click can be taken care of with external processing; I only wish
it
weren't there in the first place! I made the mistake of purchasing the
player as a replacement for a conventional 'table without researching it
properly. It's a useful tool but its scope of usefulness is
significantly
more limited than I'd thought.