Re: [ARSCLIST] historical stylus rake angles (SRA)

Yes, the laser reads EVERYTHING, including the damage.  To do otherwise
it would somehow have to "know" what was original recording and what was
damage.

My (admittedly limited) experience has convinced me that no algorithms
exist that will eliminate the noise.  In this instance, noise has
usually replaced the signal (the recorded sound), and any computational
approach to restoring the signal would have to create "new" signal by
trying to infer the original signal from existing signal surrounding the
noise.  Algorithms are typically only useful when you have to extract
signal from a combination of signal+noise.

steven austin wrote:

By "noise," do you mean surface noise? Does the laser read the damage or
sediments in the grooves as noise? I would think an algorithm could get
around that.

Also, wouldn't the zero disc wear be the first concern of archivists,
before sound optimization? I know we have two Grails here, but a
friction-less player would let me invest all my worries into the
reproduction quality challenge.

Steven Austin

-----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Kane Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 2:52 PM To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Subject: RE: [ARSCLIST] historical stylus rake angles (SRA)

RE: The sound; wouldn't say better or worse just... different. If (big
if)
you can get the vinyl clean enough it's a unique listening experience...
I'd
describe it as the difference between film and video. Both will
reproduce
the same image but will do it with quite different subjective results.

IMO, ELP would be video, if you will. It's very very 'fast', almost TOO
fast. The sonic presentation is dry and the dynamics are somewhat
compressed
when the going gets *really* serious. It does have some neat tricks up
its
sleeve but overall I find that it reproduces MORE noise than a given
'table/cartridge combo. It also doesn't seem to do soundstaging as well.

I do wonder what an all out cost no object player would sound like but I
would think they need to address the noise issue first (I cannot
overstate
how noisy playback is).