[ARSCLIST] Sticky Shed samples

My research lab is involved in the European Community funded project PRESTOSPACE (www.prestospace.org). We are working on magnetic tapes degradations (chemistry of the degradations). We noticed that many of you experienced problems with a ?sticky shed syndrome? causing the tape to become sticky and to flake off oxide layer debris. This syndrome isn?t associated exclusively with one unique brand, one batch nor one tape application (audio and video are affected).
CRCDG is interested in collected samples of tape affected by the syndrome . Between 60 cm and 5 meters (better) of tape are required to perform experiments according to procedure developed in the lab.
You would be so kind as sending us tape samples showing theses signs of degradation. Please, give us for each sample as much information as possible (if known)
- storage condition
- position of the sample inside the tape pack (internal layer / external layer)
- Brand name and type name, serial number backprinted or printed on the tape case
- Year of purchase or if not known year of first recording
And everything you thing could help us to identify the tape.

This call for samples doesn?t respond to a statistical approach, but will allow us to have better understanding of what is this syndrome related usually to binder hydrolysis.

You can contact me off list to learn more or to ask details before sending samples.

Thank you in advance.

Benoît THIEBAUT
CRCDG - Centre de Recherches sur la Conservation des Documents Graphiques
FRE 2743 CNRS - MNHN - Ministère de la culture et de la communication
36, rue Geoffroy-Saint-Hilaire - 75005 Paris