[ARSCLIST] and what about that patent?

No recipe? Like it is all a mystery? Come on ladies and gentlemen - lets get
real. There is no mystery here and there never has been. This technique did
not appear from out of the sky nor was it a secret recipe passed down from
generation to generation (ha - get it - generation to generation... ok) nor
is it a trade secret. It is right in the patent on line and free to see and
has been since 1993.

It is interesting in all these articles and all these postings that no one
EVER mentions that tape baking is patented. Funny how every one seems to
ignore that little tiny issue - like it never happened. Fortunately for
everyone Ampex never decided to do anything - but if someone ever either
wakes up or buys the patent - watch out - it could get very ugly. Anyone out
there with a license? Gee it got awfully quiet in here - I don't see any
hands raised.

Now I know that most of you on this list know this - but don't mention it.
But for the others - If Don't believe me read for yourself and think about
it next time you start up your oven.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/net
ahtml/search-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=ampex.ASNM.&s2=heating
&OS=AN/ampex+AND+heating&RS=AN/ampex+AND+heating

Patent #5,236,790

If nothing else - if you do it - it might be smart not to discuss it in a
public forum like a listserve. This patent still has about 5 years left on
it. Question the validity - sure if you want to - and several hundred
thousand dollars later you might win or you might not win in a patent
challenge - but it will cost you plenty. Using a patented process without a
license is a very serious matter. Using it in a commercial process - i.e.
providing restoration services for money and using a patented process
without a license - that is very very serious. There are several big
companies whose only assets are patents that they bought and are going
around enforcing and collecting great piles of money. This is a patented
process - period.

jim

*
        Jim Lindner