Re: [ARSCLIST] 8-track conservation and preservation

At 02:58 PM 12/10/2004 +0000, Copeland, Peter wrote:
Dear All,
    I should like to point out a feature of 8-track cartridges which hasn't
yet had a mention. As Richard says, there were a few "quadraphonic" ones, in
which four discrete channels were recorded on four of the tracks. I presume
these were marketed to car-owners so the music sounded equally good on the
back seat of the car <grin>.
    However, my point is an archival one. Most "quadraphonic encoding
systems" used for LP discs made a poor job of encoding the sound, since they
involved ninety-degree phase shifts in the audio, plus compromises to keep
the back-front separation as high as possible. But discrete quadraphonic
eight-track cartridges might not have this problem. There are two potential
uses :
(1) So that present-day listeners may tweek quadraphonic disc reproduction
to get the same spatial results as the manufacturer's spatial intentions,
but with better sound quality than eight-track; and
(2) In anticipation that discrete eight-track tape may be upgraded so that
its sound is as good as a conventional LP.
Peter Copeland
Former Technical Manager, British Library Sound Archive

Discrete four-channel sound is an option in the redbook. I know of no hardware or software which implements it, but if true quadraphonic reproduction is of interest, it may be practical on CD-DA. The bit is there - perhaps someone will use it.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/