Re: [ARSCLIST] Can Magnetic Tape Be Frozen?

In addition to Richards comments - there is a big concern with pack tension. When very cold, the pack will tend to loosen and may actually sag off of the pack (in pancake) or onto the flanges of a reel. When acclimitization occurs the tape pack willl "re-tension" but there is no way to really control precisely how it will re-tension and there is no reason to believe that it will re-tension in precisely the way it was before relaxing. Pack tension/pressure is very important and the poor wind that could occur after re-tension can cause all sorts of problems since it is really uncontrolled.

I think that this is really the major issue. While there is certainly issue with lubricant migration - i have not seen any real work done stating that the lubricant remains in an archival tape anyhow. Meaning - how much lubricant remains after 30 years? That is an unknown and will obviuosly vary by the tape type, how it was stored, the type of lubricant, and the amount that happened to be in a specific batch in the first place. All variables. I have seen NO credible research on this subject. It is all just best guesses at this point (including mine!).

There are other issues with freezing that have not been adequately explored as well. I have had a discussion with a colleague who has mentioned that after freezing a test sample there appeared to be microscopic cracks in the binder. What effect (if any) that will have on longevity and playback are all unknowns.

At this point in time - my feeling is that he far bigger risk is that of obsolescence. I mean if you can extend the life by 300 years by freezing - then great. But finding a 1/4" half track studio quality machine that works on ebay might be a bit harder 300 years from now.

I strongly feel that we need to move in a different direction - and that direction is one where we embrace the concept of continual management of an asset which means that migration is one of the things that "we do" for electronic media as a matter of course. Active management versus putting it on a shelf type "management". While extending the life of materials is certainly a worthwhile pursuit, I feel that it becomes a moot point from a practical point of view.

Jim Lindner