Re: [ARSCLIST] LP groove repair

Eric,

   Since  you mentioned having a access to a CD copy (with inferior
sound) of the record you're trying to track, and you're also going to
have access to an ELP, can I suggest a small comparison experiment?
   Grab your needed seconds from both the ELP output and the CD and
compare the results when they're spliced in. Is there a noticable
difference. Do both sound , OK, not-so-good, or one better than the
other? If you have ways of testing the sound, how do they compare on the
tests?
   I've gone on record several times with my opinion of the ELP
(mostly, it's very useful for some stuff, but overall it sounds lousy).
But I wonder how noticable that lousy sound is for a small chunk of
sound inserted into a needle transfer done on a top-notch table.
    Generally, has anyone done spectral analysis or any other tests to
compare the outputs of needle, laser turntable, and the new Berkeley
method of disc transfer? As with early CDs, many of us can hear that
something seems to be missing from the non-physical methods of playback,
but can only decribe the problem with limited accuracy. Identifying the
precise shortcomings of the laser methods are the first steps toward
improving them and making them more generally useful to archives.

James

>>> Eric Jacobs <ericj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 11/30/2004 6:18:00 PM >>>
7.  The ELP laser turntable crossed my mind.  I should have access to
    one in a few weeks.

Thanks again for all of your excellent suggstions!  And if anyone
knows of the perfect vinyl filler, do let me know.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive