From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jos Van Dyck
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 6:00 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] LP groove repair

Should work with a Laser turntable
http://www.elpj.com/

If it is music, the 1.8 sec might be repeated somewhere else in the piece.
Copy & paste with your DAW will cure.

Jos

---------- Initial header -----------

From : "Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List"

ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx

To          : ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
CC          :
Date      : Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:04:43 -0800
Subject : [ARSCLIST] LP groove repair

I have a 1963 LP which has a deep gouge - it looks like the needle had

been

dropped very hard, leaving a pit in the record that is 2.5 grooves

wide.

Depending on how I set the anti-skate, I get one of two effects: (a)

the

stylus skips and will not continue past the gouge or (b) the stylus

jumps a

groove, skipping 1.8 seconds of music. I've looked at the groove

under a

150x microscope, and it appears that the gouge is 0.010" deep. For

the

really curious, I might try to photograph the damage.

Does anyone have any experience on how to span this gouge? Any

conservation

techniques for filling such damage just so to make the rest of the

grooves

playable? Or am I just outta luck on this one. I have a steady hand

and

good optics/magnification.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive
San Jose, California
+1 (408) 221-2128
mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NOTE! My email address is changing to ... @scarlet.be
Please make the necessary changes in your address book.