[ARSCLIST] CHARM

I've seen nothing about this project here and thought others would be
interested. Let me note that it is very much work in progress. I've written
the researcher about broken links and typographic errors. If he follows up,
I'll go into more detail.

************
Some of you may by now have heard of CHARM, or to give it its full name
the AHRB Centre for the History of Analysis of Recorded Music, which has
been set up under the AHRB Research Centres scheme to support the study of
recordings, and is a joint project of Royal Holloway, King's College
London, and the University of Sheffield. Further details of CHARM and its
activities may be found at www.charm.rhul.ac.uk.

One of CHARM's projects is to develop a substantial on-line discography of
78 rpm recordings, together with web pages offering guidance, links,
downloadable software for analysis, etc. Although we are only at the
beginning of this work, a trial database of the Gramophone Company (HMV)
Italian catalogue for 1903-1910 is now available; development is being
carried out by Daniel Leech-Wilkinson and Francis Knights, and we welcome
comments on its usability. There is also a collection of downloadable
sound files of Schubert song recordings.

You can access these materials from the main CHARM page by following
'Resources', or by following these links:

- introduction to the discography project, and link for comments:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/music/charm/index.html
- the Gramophone Company Italian catalogue 1903-1910:
http://maple.cc.kcl.ac.uk/ps/charm/web/content/italian_catalogue/index.html
- Schubert song sound files:
http://maple.cc.kcl.ac.uk/ps/charm/web/content/schubert_songs/index.html

The CHARM website will be developing rapidly over the next few years, so
please bookmark our home page if you are interested in recorded music! You
can also register so as to receive details of future events and our
newsletter, at http://www.charm.rhul.ac.uk/content/contact/register.html.

PS: a two-year Research Fellowship will shortly be advertised, for a
computational project on recordings of Chopin's Mazurkas (brief project
details at
http://maple.cc.kcl.ac.uk/ps/charm/web/content/projects/chopin.html). This
is just advance notice--further details will appear on this list and
elsewhere.

Nicholas Cook, FBA
Professor of Music
Royal Holloway, University of London
Director, AHRB Research Centre for the History and Analysis of Recorded Music
nicholas.cook@xxxxxxxxxx

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/