From: "Peter Hirsch" <punto@xxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Looking for recording date (plus discographical
digression)

I certainly wasn't disputing the logic that Columbia could and did
consider men's choruses singing in German "ethnic" even when the the
group was based in New York City and singing classical (as opposed to
traditional) compositions. I just found it interesting and quaint that
an attitude of several decades ago has shifted so markedly. In any case,
you were quite right about it being "ethnic". Spottswood's book (Vol. 1)
lists it and gives a recording date of ca. March 1926. This recording is
of interest to me because of the notation "Mit Waldhorn Quartette". I
have spent a lot of time tracking down historic recordings of the horn
and this is one of the few that I have that predate Aubrey Brain and Max
Zimmolong's pre-WWII recordings of Mozart concerti by a considerable
margin. There is an Edison Amberol recording (478, Blue Amberol 2444) of
Gustave F. Heim, trumpet player in the Boston Symphony around the turn
of the twentieth century, playing a cornet solo "Die Post" with a
quartet of hornists from the BSO that was recorded in New York Feb. 26,
1910 (Koenigsberg says Feb. 10). This recording has been my holy grail
and my quest has not been fruitful to date; if anyone out there knows of
a playable copy for sale or otherwise accessible, I'd love to know.
There is a beautiful publicity photo of the group in the July 1910
Edison Phonograph Monthly, for anyone interested further.

Regards,

Peter Hirsch