Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright Alert

> I want to issue some
> pre 1954 programs from the French Broadcasting Corporation. Some of you
> probably remember the series "Masterworks from France." These performances
> are public domain in France, yet, my reading of the law suggests that
since
> they were not public domain in the US in 1996? they are subject to the US
> copyrights and I cannot issue them in the US.

I am not following you here Karl.

If the performances originated in France and the original copyright belonged
to a French entity and has now expired, it would seem that there would be no
copyright holders in the US. that could come after you. Even if copyright
existed here at one time, only a copyright holder could make trouble. Who
would that be?

Joe Salerno
Video Works! Is it working for you?
PO Box 273405 - Houston TX 77277-3405