Re: [ARSCLIST] Looking for form/genre term

Track sheets and session notes are if you will the terms of art for the
documents you are describing.

aa
On Nov 16, 2004, at 1:42 PM, digest Peter Hirsch wrote:

I'm hoping that those of you cataloging archival collections (as
opposed to
processing and creating finding aids) may be able to help me out.

I just posted this over on MLA-L and then realized that maybe it is at
least as logically targeted at sound archivists as to music librarians.
Sorry for any duplication.

- Peter Hirsch

We have an important collection of papers generated by a record producer. There is some correspondence and other papers, but the huge bulk of the collection are files devoted to recording sessions and each of these contains a log that lists takes, personnel, etc. We try to affix appropriate 655 Form/Genre headings to our records and our two primary thesauri for these headings are LCSH and the Art and Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) form the Getty Foundation. Neither of these have yielded a term that seems to fit. AAT has "logbooks" but the usage note seems to indicate that these are more likely to be found in a nautical setting than in a recording studio.

Since these are the primary reason that we imagine most researchers
will
benefit from consulting these papers, it would be nice to have a term
for
them more focused than something like "business records".

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Hirsch
NYPL