Re: [ARSCLIST] 8 track tapes

Thanks for the information, Richard. In answer to question (3), he is a collector and lover of 8 track. I will let him know and we will see just how much of a lover of 8 track he is.
Marlena

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 11:45 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 8 track tapes

At 10:42 AM 2004/11/08 -0700, Marlena Wyman wrote:
>Hello - A researcher has asked how to fix 8 track tapes that have broken
>springs or flattened pads. Can anyone out there advise on this?
>Thanks.

Hello, Marlena,

There are several ways to approach this.

(1) There is help info at http://www.8trackheaven.com/

(2) I offer a service to do this by removing the tape from the cartridge
and using a reel-to-reel recorder with a 4-channel 8-track head in it (it
takes two passes to get all the programs)

(3) I must ask "why?" Almost everything that was released on 8-track was
released on other, more durable formats like LP or at least cassette.

Only the rare one-of-a-kind item really deserves the effort (read expense)
of (2).

Cheers,

Richard
Aurora, Ontario
http://www.richardhess.com/tape
1-877-TAPE-FIX (US and Canada toll free)