Re: [ARSCLIST] File naming for digital audio and associated files

I'm a proponent of naming files using a simple accession numbering
system. Coding by date and content will always fail in the long run with
large collections because these attributes are never unique. But I also
think numbering systems should be mnemonic and correlate to the call
number or item number of the original. Other metadata can be stored
elsewhere. You'll also need a way to identify surrogate files. We append
file names with an a, b, c etc. depending on if they are wav, quicktime,
mp3, etc.

I preface all files we create will our MARC Code, in our case, CU-SB.
You seem to be at University of Alaska, Fairbanks which is AkU. I
believe that eventually that digital content will live in shared
repositories and this will identify the location of the originals. The
master code list is at http://www.loc.gov/marc/organizations/orgshome.html

David Seubert
UCSB