Re: [ARSCLIST] Dating 78 record sleeves

Various people have been working on such a project, but I'm not sure how far
they've gotten on the "unglamorous" fringe labels.  One of these fellows has
a web site, but I can't recall his name.

Besides, unless it's new stock, there's no guarantee that the record is in
the sleeve in which it was delivered to the retail store.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom" <tomd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 2:33 PM Subject: [ARSCLIST] Dating 78 record sleeves

Is there any reference publication of printed 78-rpm record sleeves with
the
dates of when various sleeves were used? The ones that were originally
sold
with the record.

As part of the digitizing of the Arhoolie Foundation's Strachwitz
Collection
of Mexican and Mexican American Recordings we are scanning the original
Spanish Language 78 sleeves. Many of the major labels and many Indies
printed their sleeves in Spanish. Columbia, for instance, had several
versions in Spanish and we'd like to know the dates these where used.  Is
there a "The Big 78-rpm Record Sleeve Pictography" book?

Has anyone ever dated 78 record sleeves? (ha!, ha!) Can anyone help?

Tom Diamant
Arhoolie Foundation
10341 San Pablo Ave.
El Cerrito, CA 94530