From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Eric Podietz
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 1:15 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Tape baking oven

Hello all,

I am new to the ARSC and have recently become involved with the management
of a collection of several thousand studio master tapes from the 70's and
80's. While I have not yet attempted to play any of these tapes I have
learned that some or all of them may require baking before they can be
played (Many of the tapes are Ampex 456).  I have read a few scattered
internet pieces on tape baking devices and I am curious if any of you can
recommend a trustworthy device that can handle several two inch tapes at a
time. While I am handy I think my need extends beyond a hair dryer pointed
into a box with a circulating fan!

For a little more background on this archive, see www.studiomastertapes.com

Thank you!

Eric Podietz