Re: [ARSCLIST] The development of recording technology

On 15/10/04, Karl Miller wrote:

> You may want to look at:
>
> Chanan, Michael: Repeated takes, a short history of recording and its
> effects on music.
>
> Morton, David: Off the record: the technology and culture of sound
> recordings in America
>
> Sterne, Jonathan: The audible past, cultural origins of sound
> recordings

Also
Barfe, Louis: Where Have All the Good Times Gone?

- which is well researched and very readable.

>> From my own perspective, the only way I was able to start my own
>> label
> (Pierian) was due to the significantly reduced costs and the advent of
> the digital recording technology. I began with a personal investment
> of $10,000 and free legal assistance. That amount paid for recording
> equipment, (the most expensive being the Neumann mics!) and the cost
> of pressing the first few discs. I was able to use my own computer at
> home for the editing, mastering, and the preparation of the
> booklets... layout and design. It also helps that none of the
> performers gets paid...until we recoup the pressing and printing
> costs. Plus, I never get paid, nor does my wife who handles the
> finances!
>
> Now, more than ever before, you can do it yourself on a shoestring
> budget.

And having bought a number of Pierian releases, I can confirm that they
are of at least as high a standard as those from the big companies.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx