Re: [ARSCLIST] CD markings

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Mike Richter wrote:

> The extra added point - not needed numerically given the shopping list
> Steven provided already - is whether pressing the archival disc is
> worthwhile. That is, we have assumed that pressed discs have longer life
> than recordable ones, though as far as I'm aware there is no clear evidence
> of that. However, if that is so, why do we assume that archival storage
> would be on recordable media? The added cost of $500 or so per disc is not
> an issue in the world of idealized archiving. Perhaps more significantly,
> pressing allows for distribution of the master (each pressed disc is such a
> master) to 500 or so archives to preserve it against the ravagaes of time
> and the losses of natural and man-made disaster.

I may still have the literature somewhere...this goes back some
years...but there was a company that would provide you with a glass master
(not exactly stone) with a gold reflective surface for something like $800
a disc. Producing a glass master is far less expensive these days...as it
is part of the manufacturing process. It costs me about $1,200 to press
1,000 discs, jewel cases, shrink wrap, UPC, and an 8 page booklet. Anyone
know what the cost might be of making just that glass master?

I agree with the notion, articulated by many on this list, namely, the
liberal distribution of copies...however, in my experience, most libraries
would say...we have too much stuff already...and then we have the
copyrights...

Karl