Re: [ARSCLIST] Reel-to-Reel Tape Problems

Steven
I have had a similiar problem with the Quategy 499. I have debris shed
on the guides as well. I agree that the QA isn't as good on the 499. I
have also had problems with it being just too wide  that is sheds a
tiny layer from the outside. I don't think they are as precise in
cutting the tape and inspecting it as other formulations have been in
the past. The good news is I haven't experienced this on all the tapes
just certain batches. When we do find a tape that seems not to be up to
quality we just put that box away and try from another batch. The tapes
just seem to be very inconsistant some of the batches seem to work like
they are supposed to. I think if all of us that use the tape started to
complain back to the manufacturer at once something may be changed on
their end. However since I have had this "revalation" I haven't had the
problem with anymore boxes of tape haha.

John A. Loy

 Quoting Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I've been dubbing some material to new Quanergy 499 for archival >
purposes.

> Each time I record a reel for the first time, I find a considerable
> > amount of debris accumulated on the plate around the head block.
> There > is a smaller amount on later passes.  I never had this
experienc with
> 3M > tape in the past.  I assume this means Quanergy has eliminated a
step
> > which cleans out that debris as the last step in the manufacturing
> process.   The debris is benign at normal playing speeds, but running
> > the new tape in fast-forward is probably sucking in these motes
> between > the layers as the tape winds since the air currents on the
surface of
> > the recorder are speeded up.  I haven't measured, just making >
assumptions from past experience.

> At 7.5 the tape runs about 32:30.  Older tapes held over 33:00.  When
> > dubbing from full older tapes, I'm comming up short on occassion,
and
> > always if I put set-up tones on the same reel.  To avoid splices in
> the > program material, I'm adding tones at the front from a separare
reel
> in > the same batch and putting in leader before the program begins.
> What a > production pain!
>
> When recording set-up tones of 1K and 10K, I've found wide variations
> > when starting at the beginning of the reel.  One shows 10K at +2, >
another at -3.

> In all, the quality control on this stuff is lousy.  And there is
> that > nagging suspicion, yet to be proven, that this tape will also
turn > sticky.  It feels a bit so during the handling process when
first > threading it up.