Re: [ARSCLIST] Is recording to Reel-to-reel still the preferred preservation method?

Good question...

44.1 (cd) x2- 88.2 x2- 176.4...

It is widely believed that the down conversion in even numbers gets you the
best quality...

I believe that the algorithms are just not good enough yet, and leaves
audible artifacts. In mastering I have often times gone back in the analog
domain to down-sample between 192 and 44.1

When I deliver surround sound mixes I like to deliver 2" 8-track...
Mastering engineers love this.

Many engineers believe that we don't have to worry about this in the future,
but the audible difference between 192 and 176.4 is minimal. (Most of my
clients want 192)

The major question to should be if the 44.1/16 will be a common format in
the future, and if the bit conversion from 24 to 16 isn't more audible than
the artifacts from sampling changes.

I'm sorry to bring more questions into this thread...

Sincerely,

Claus.

Claus Trelby
Managing Engineer/Partner