Re: [ARSCLIST] powder-like substance from open reel tapes

Jeff:

RTI makes a number of tape cleaning machines but I believe they cost around
$8,000 to $12,000 and I don't know if they make anything for audio tape.
They are also basically designed for recycling and may be problematic to use
for seriously compromised or decaying tapes.

We have a cleaner for audio tape but ours is custom and cost around $40,000.
You should be able to do an "ok" job by having an engineer attach some
tissue stations on an old deck.  You might try picking up an old pancake
winder as it has a lot of deck space you can work with.  Just make sure the
unit you use has variable speed and tension controls.  You can clean at
greater than play speed but you really don't want to risk cleaning at a fast
rewind speed and full tension if the tape is in bad shape.

Peter Brothers
President
SPECS BROS., LLC
(201) 440-6589
www.specsbros.com

Restoration and Disaster Recovery Service Since 1983