Re: [ARSCLIST] powder-like substance from open reel tapes

Steve,
The tape is a TDK 150 from around 1974. So far they don't seem to
exhibit any audible or physical properties of sticky-shed. Do you think
this powder is a symptom of sticky-shed that I do not know about? or
could it be a chemical effect of the polyester backing? thanks for
getting back to me any information is helpful.
 John A. Loy
 Audio Preservation Engineer
 Southern Folklife Collection
 UNC Chapel Hill