Re: [ARSCLIST] powder-like substance from open reel tapes

John:

If you wipe the tapes, two tissues that are non-destructive are pellon
(available on rolls if you want to set up a semi-automated or automated
system) or Kimwipes EX-L from Kimberly-Clark (if you do the work by hand).

Burnishing is usually done by running the tape past a specially constructed
post on a winding mechanism.  Burnishing, when combined with a tissue wipe,
greatly increases the effectiveness of the cleaning process but there are
some specific cautions: Never run a tape over a burnishing post if the tape
exhibits 1) visible edge damage, 2) a brittle acetate base, 3)loops or
cinches in the tape pack or 4)has splices of unconfirmed integrity.
Burnishing tapes with these sorts of problems can cause serious damage.

Burnishing got a very bad reputation back in the 70's when a company was
selling cleaning machines that used razor blades.  Further research by NASA,
3M and Grumman came up with much safer and more effective burnishing
mechanisms that first used tungsten-carbide and ,later, sapphire.  The posts
have to be ground and polished to fairly precise specifications, need to be
positioned to intersect the tape within a limited range of angles and must
be maintained without any scratches or chipping to be safe.  If you are not
very familiar with burnishing tapes, it is usually best to limit yourself to
the less-effective tissue wipe only.

Peter Brothers
President
SPECS BROS., LLC
(201) 440-6589
www.specsbros.com

Restoration and Disaster Recovery Service Since 1983