Re: [ARSCLIST] ? about Burning CDs for archives

On 19/08/04, Mike Richter wrote:

> NOTES:
>
> The black pigment (or blue or red or amber - all have been available)
> is in the otherwise clear layer below the dye layer. Unlike
> anti-halation, its absorption occurs before as well as after the light
> strikes the sensitive dye. The pigment has proved to be of esthetic
> value only. Fortunately, it does not do any measurable harm except for
> a negligible increase in the power setting effected in calibration.

I have only one black CD here, marked "Creation Optical Media".

I cut a sliver off the centre hole and examined it on a lightbox. The
dye is in the plastic - it is definitely black polycarbonate.

The other colours might be just layers. I haven't seen them.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx