Re: [ARSCLIST] Certification (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Wire recorders)

At 12:15 AM 8/13/2004 -0400, Steven C. Barr wrote:

What we often forget is that the digitization of sound has transformed
recordings, old or new, into a series of bytes...and that it is only
necessary to redefine selected bytes in that sequence to come up with
an entirely new sound file...which could be as simple as the recording
had it been recorded and played at 78.26rpm, or as complex (if not now,
then in the near future) as the recording had it featured Bix on cornet
and Jimi Hendrix on guitar! All we need to do...and this may be under way...
is to digitally analyze a waveform and see if we can identify typical
waveform elements which sonically define Bix!

This has been done - with some success - with singers. Richard Miller pioneered the effort and while it is far from complete, the work is intriguing. I have no references to offer - in part because I've only begun to work on his book on training a tenor. (If I were a singer, I'd not be a tenor, but he wrote none on baritones. <G>)

A problem in doing that with an instrumentalist is separating the sound of
the player from that of the instrument. With the voice, that aspect is
minimized. In any case, the recording process also gets in the way.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/