Re: [ARSCLIST] audio reel archival containers

At 03:58 PM 8/9/2004 -0400, you wrote:
Does anyone use these:

http://www.tuscancorp.com/products/audio.html

(Tuscan ProVent Audio Inert Polypropylene 1/4" Audiotape Containers) and
would care to comment on them? Please contact me off list.

I would be concerned about storing acetate tape in them as I'm suspicious that the traditional cardboard box is functioning something like a molecular sieve and absorbing some of the acetic acid outgassing/effluent from the tapes and retarding any vinegar syndrome. No skill/time to prove it, but it seems to be part of the puzzle as to why sepmag film tracks are deteriorating while older 1/4" magnetic tapes are not. Another part of the puzzle is the thickness.

I would be careful. The venting would help, of course, but it might also
promote drying-out of the acetate tapes.

I don't know what the issues are (if any) with polyester or PVC tapes).

Cheers,

Richard