Re: [ARSCLIST] Sound Archivists

Marie-

I notice that your posting hasn't resulted in a large number of
reponses- I assume some may have responded off-list, and others may be
on vacation- but I did want to assure you that the ARSC membership
includes a fairly large number of university and institutional folks.
Some are sound archivists in the technical sense and deal specifically
with preservation/restoration/transfer issues, while others have broader
responsibilities that include the administration of recorded sound
collections. Since many ARSC members do not subscribe to the ARSClist,
you might be better off consulting the ARSC Membership Directory (I
believe the new edition is just going into the mail).

If you're not already an ARSC member, please consider joining, or
encourage your institution to join- the fee is only $36 for individuals,
and $40 for institutions. You might also wish to consider attending the
forthcoming conference in Austin on March 30-April 2, 2005.  There are
several reasons to recommend ARSC conferences over other professional
conferences that you might attend.  First, the ARSC conference draws
both institutional representatives and private collectors, so you can
get advice from your institutional colleagues while also chatting about
sound recordings with some of the foremost private collectors and
experts in the country (and often foreign experts as well). Second, as
conference attendance averages about 100, you have an opportunity to
really meet everyone and establish relationships, rather than being lost
in a sea of people. And last but not least, its just a fun group of
people to associate with.

Anyway, that's my plug as the ARSC Prez.  I hope to meet you in Austin.

Brenda

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Head of Collections
Indiana University
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Smith Research Center, Suite 180-181
2805 E. 10th Street
Bloomington, IN 47408
812-855-7530