Re: [ARSCLIST] Streaming audio

At 03:40 PM 7/28/2004 -0400, Dave Radlauer wrote:
In a message dated 7/22/04 9:17:18 PM, LISTSERV@xxxxxxx writes:

<< Note that streaming does not preclude capture; even on a simple system,
particularly with a tool such as TotalRecorder >>

Yes, but capture can be made from discs, legally or not so that isn't an
issue.  Its what one does with that copy.  Streaming of audio is now an
accepted
fact as far as legal license to stream and rights recovery.

<<Given the losses in compression (as noted, required for efficient
streaming), the penalty for digitizing a second time is modest.>>

I'm not sure I understand the import of this statement, but data compression
of audio reduces data by an order of magnitude.  Its not feasible to Stream
full 16/44 audio, nor for most is it feasible to transfer more than a
minute or
two via internet.

The different classes of supplying audio over the Internet include streaming, streaming on demand, streaming/download option and download only. In many cases, the option to stream the file or to download it is the recipient's. Given the nature of computers and their use of memory, the issue becomes how long one may retain the the signal in memory (or on disc), not whether it may be written to memory. I believe that that is part of the argument for TotalRecorder being legal; to my knowledge, that has not been challenged in court.

The import of my statement is that a stream may be captured in analogue,
then digitized a second time (the first was prior to streaming, of course).
There are often complaints about the loss of quality in such a process; I
was observing only that the ADC-DAC-ADC sequence will entail losses far
less significant than those of the compression necessary for practical
communication over the Internet.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/