Re: [ARSCLIST] Abraham Lincoln -- recording star??? Slave Recordings

The book of you mention is "Remembering Slavery," published by The New Press in the late 90s and still very much in print.

You can also listen to these interviews and learn more about this recording project at the "Voices from the Days of Slavery" page at the Library of Congress' American Memory website: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/vfshtml/

Matthew Barton
American Folklife Center
The Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20540-4610
phone: (202) 707-1733
fax: (202) 707-2076
email: mbarton@xxxxxxx

>>> "Thomas H. Stern" <sternth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 7/24/2004 9:05:19 AM >>>
Slave recordings - during the 30's the WPA DID record surviving former
slaves and their children.  Fascinating listening.  Some were released on Lp
by 'Mark56', and I believe there is a recent book of transcriptions with
some tape copies. (how about getting these issued on CD/ or with photos or
film on a DVD.  Where are you Library of Congress?)
Best wishes, Thomas Stern