Re: [ARSCLIST] Certification

Question #1: The foremost question to ask: is the audio
preservation market in need of, and large enough to
justify, "regulation" by a certification body?

Scenario #1: Many small or highly specialized industries are
self regulated.  If the clients are well versed in the field,
they know what questions to ask and how to assess potential
vendors.  Together with references and word of mouth, most
customers can identify qualified vendors and make an
appropriate selection.

Scenario #2: On the other hand, industries where there exists
a fairly large knowledge gap between the customer and the
service provider, can greatly benefit from certification.

So which scenario best represents the audio preservation
industry of today, as well as in the future?  Do those
responsible for sound collections feel that they already have
the tools they need to assess new transcription vendors?  I
believe the need for certification must come from the
customers.  If those responsible for preserving sound
collections are not clamoring for certification, we probably
don't need a certification body.  But if there is a clear
need for certification...

What would the effects of certification be on transcription
work and the industry in general?

At least a few potential effects come to mind:

(1)  It would better guarantee a minimum level of knowledge,
     and possibly skill, among all "certified" audio
     archivists.

(2)  On the one hand, it's protectionist - you can't just
     put out a shingle and call yourself an audio
     preservation expert anymore,

(3)  And on the other hand, it allows for new entrants into
     the field, increasing the supply of high quality
     transcription vendors.  This would create for a more
     competitive environment, reducing preservation costs
     while simultaneously increasing the quality of work
     performed (if there was a "continuing education"
     component to certification).

(4)  Certification can raise the awareness of sound
     collections to the issues at the heart of preservation.
     Many of those managing sound collections would be wise
     to be certified as well, so that they can keep abreast
     of preservation.

An important note for making certification successful: The
cost of certification cannot be so great that it makes it
financially difficult or highly inconvenient (for example,
significant travel required) for a small or one-person
operation.  This will help grow the supply of transcription
vendors.

What might a certification process look like?

In some fields, they use a point system to certify people,
where a minimum number of points are needed to be certified.
A quantity of "points" are assigned to classes and seminars
based on content.  The more in-depth the content, the more
points it earns.  The classes which qualify for points
are "certified" by a certification body.  There could even be
two flavors of points - theory points and practice points.

Years of professional experience or education can count
as "points" towards official certification.  Just how many
points all that experience is worth will depend on the
certification body.

A certification exam must be passed to obtain initial
certification.  There could be a general exam, with perhaps
some specialty exams (ie. magnetic media, phonograph records).

Because the field of audio preservation is dynamic - new and
better methods of preservation are developed, "Best
Practices" get better, new technology in the way of media and
formats are being introduced - a continuing education program
to remain certified makes sense.  In this case, a certain
number of points would need to be continually accrued.

I think it's important to think about certification.  It's
also important to consider the costs of certification - there
would need to be a certification body created and funded, and
maintained.  There needs to be enough demand to fill the
certification classes and seminars.  And all those who want
to be certified will need to pay for those classes and
seminars, exams, and possibly membership in the certifying
organization.

Ultimately, it may come down to economics.  Some more
questions:

1.  Who funds the certification body?  Customers, service
providers, or both?

2.  What would it cost to build and maintain a certification
body?

3.  Would certification be national, or international?

4.  Would the ARSC be the right body to lead such a
certification effort?

Once again, all of this depends on the answer to "Question
#1" at the top of this essay.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive