Re: [ARSCLIST] Equalizers

First of all, I would love to hear what other ARSC members
are using and what led you to your choice of
equalizer/preamp.  Perhaps we could do an informal equalizer
poll, and perhaps some mini reviews if people are inclined
(ie. how easy is it to use, how you are using it, quality of
the sound, shortcomings, strengths, etc.).

Following is a short list of equalizer/preamps that I am
aware of (in no particular order) - I'm sure I missed a few,
so please feel free to add to the list:

Millennia LPE-2 - This is what I use and I am very happy with
the flexibility that it provides for my transfer/restoration
work, but may be overkill for casual listening or for use
with mid-range electronics.  It not only provides adjustable
hi frequency roll-off and low frequency turnover, but I
believe is unique in that it also offers hi and low frequency
shelving.  If that's not enough flexibility, there are
sockets on the circuit board where you can insert your own
resistors and capacitors to obtain pretty much any
equalization.  Also, very flexible cartridge loading - if the
built-in loading is not what you need, once again there are
sockets on the circuit board where you can insert your own
resistors and capacitors.  It really is the most flexible
preamp I've been able to find, and with extremely high
quality electronics as well.  $9,500 USD list price.
info: http://www.mil-media.com/docs/products/lpe2.shtml
info: http://www.mil-media.com/docs/articles/preamps.shtml
info: http://www.mil-media.com/docs/articles/design.shtml
review: http://www.mil-media.com/docs/articles/review-mix-
lpe2.shtml

Elberg MD-12 appears to be popular among archives and
institutions, but I have not seen any reviews.  If you use
this preamp, we want to hear from you!  1,150 Euros list
price.
info: http://www.vadlyd.dk/English/RIAA_and_78_RPM_preamp.html

FM Acoustics 222 MKII is expensive - okay, very expensive -
but provides a lot of flexibility and provides very high
quality sound (probably overkill for casual listening or for
use with mid-range electronics).  $18,000 USD list price
(unverified).
info: http://www.fmacoustics.com/c_dom_fm_222.html

KAB Souvenir MK-12 appears to be popular among hobbyists, but
I suspect may also be used by professionals.  $1,135 USD list
price.
info: http://www.kabusa.com/eqsmk12.htm
review: http://www.kabusa.com/eqs12rvw.htm

Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer (old)
Smart Model RME 1950 Phono ReMastering Equalizer (new)
An affordable equalizer (not a preamp) that is designed to
follow an RIAA preamp.  $399 USD list price.
info: http://www.smartdev.com/LT/remaster.html

Graham Slee Jazz Club - nice high quality preamp with enough
flexibility to cover a wide range of recordings, but not
quite as flexible as some of the units mentioned above.  575
Pounds Sterling list price.
http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/preamps/jazzclub.htm

Hagerman Technology Bugle Pro if you want to build a preamp
from a kit ($85 is pretty hard to beat for the kit, or $385
assembled)
http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html

Elliott Sound Products Project 91 if you want to build your
own preamp from a schematic.
http://sound.westhost.com/project91.htm

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive