Re: [ARSCLIST] adhering detached record labels

We at Belfer Audio Archive, Syracuse University , use only " Avery Permanent Glue Stic "- it is acid free and safe for photographic use.
 I have reapplied MANY white paper Edison labels with this glue, and have yet for one to discolor or fall off, even after several years.
There is no major  effort to remove the old glue , as it doesn't hamper the new glue's ability to bond. Unless of course the old glue is loose, and can be flaked off the label or disc surface easily.

I hope this helps !

Bob Hodge
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University Library

>>> hfrost@xxxxxxxxxxxx 07/07/04 04:01PM >>>
I am posting this query on behalf of a non-subscriber. Please post any
recommendations to the list and I will point Anne to the ARSClist archives.

Thanks,

Hannah

>To: hfrost@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>From: Anne Gunnison <agunniso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: record labels
>
>Hello,
>
>We received a vinyl record whose labels have detached. The music library,
>from which the record came, wanted us to reattach the labels onto the
>record. Do you have any suggestions on how to do so? Would PVA be the best
>adhesive to use? And is there a good way to remove the old glue from the
>record. Or even a good way to remove the old adhesive from the labels? I
>have checked some sources online about cleaning, but none seem to say how
>to affix the labels.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
>
>Anne Gunnison

Hannah Frost
Media Preservation Librarian
Stanford University Libraries