[ARSCLIST] Is DSD really "open"??

I saw a vendor presentation yesterday where it was claimed that the DSD
standard was "open". I was wondering if that was true. Meaning - are
licensing fees involved if you use a DSD software based tool. Is DSD "open
source"? Is the file format fully disclosed - and can anyone write a DSD
file and not have any restrictions or licensing fees?

I had viewed DSD as a proprietary format and was wondering if this is true.

Also - does anyone know of software based tools for DSD - meaning a PCM to
DSD file converter in software? I know that they are built into DAW but I am
more interested in batch oriented tools for larger servers so I would need a
true software based set of utilities. Do they exist??

Thanks for the help.
jim

*
        Jim Lindner